Member Sponsored Content
The following article is brought to you by our premium members. These articles are co-authored with our education & action partner, Mobile Internet Resource Center (MIRC), who provide in-depth content and independent analysis on all things mobile internet.
Consider joining our membership for full access and to be part of the conversation in our support forums. Members also receive premium discounts on equipment, data plans as well as upgraded shipping! Learn more...
Education & Action Explained
This article is divided into two main sections, Education & Action. The Action Section refers to content with step-by-step how-to articles on this topic. The Education Section links to related content and deeper dive information from our friends at the Mobile Internet Resource Center. Enjoy and your feedback is always welcome!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Member Sponsored Content
- Education & Action Explained
- Products Covered
- Article Summary
- Step 1 - Updating your Firmware
- Step 2 - Activating the SpeedFusion Trial
- Need More Help? Consider Joining Our Membership & Support our Community
This article will walk you through how to enable the WiFi WAN connection options on a MAX BR1 Mini. Previously, a feature pack was required to use this feature. However, this feature is now included in firmware 8.3.0 or higher. There are a few issues you can run into when trying to enable this feature. One issue could be that you do not have an active internet source such as a cellular connection. Another issue could be that you did update your firmware to 8.3.0 or higher and this feature is still not enabled. This article will show the different ways to enable this.
Additional Member Content Available
A host of articles are available to our members hosted by the Mobile Internet Resource Center:
Peplink Learning Center
Some content is provided free of charge, members have full access as well as access to our pre recorded webinars on this topic. Learn More About Memberships...
Additional Content & Links from Mobile Internet Resource Center
- Optimizing Cellular Performance on Peplink Routers
- SpeedFusion Connect Guide & Member Webinar
- Peplink Multi-WAN Overview Guide
- Peplink SpeedFusion Cloud Relay Guide
- Combining Peplink and Starlink Guide & Member Webinar
- Peplink Virtual WAN Guide
Step 1 - Updating your Firmware
Note: If your firmware is already up to date, please skip to step 2
Method 1 - With Internet Access
Note: If your firmware is quite out of date, please skip to method 2.
If you have access to an internet source such as a cellular connection, you can update your firmware by following the steps below.
- Login to your Peplink Admin panel
- Click on the System tab
- Click on the Firmware subtab
- Click on check for firmware
- Update firmware
Method 2 – Without Internet Access
You can update firmware using the manual process by following these steps:
- Download the correct file for your model here: https://www.peplink.com/support/downloads/ (You can find the model of your device on the sticker on the bottom of your router. You may need to click through to the second or third page in any given category to find your router model's firmware file)
- Log in to your Peplink Admin panel
- Click on the System Tab
- Select Firmware from the submenu
- Use the manual upgrade feature to upload the file that you downloaded in Step 1.
If you are still coming up short and you have very out-of-date firmware, you may need to upgrade to a more recent but not MOST recent version, then upgrade to the current version from there. You can find previous firmware versions here: https://www.peplink.com/support/firmware-archive/ Make sure to use the search bar to quickly find your router model.
Make sure that regardless of the method you are trying, you give it ample time to complete the update. You can feel free to refresh your InControl or admin panel tab as that will not affect the firmware update but may refresh your view to see the current status of the update. It should not take longer than 30 minutes. If it is still stuck after that amount of time, reboot your router, check to see if the update went through, and try another method if not.
After updating your firmware, please check on your dashboard if you now have the WiFi WAN 2.4 GHz and WiFi WAN 5 GHz options. Please reference this article for Managing Multiple Internet Sources. If you do not see the WiFi WAN 2.4 GHz or WiFi WAN 5GHz options, please continue to step 2.
Step 2 – Activating the SpeedFusion Trial
If your device is not connected to an internet source and you do not see the WiFi WAN options on your dashboard, you will need to activate the SpeedFusion trial as this feature is baked into the firmware and enabling this will turn on the features included in firmware 8.3.0. This allows for your device to communicate with Peplink servers to apply these features.
- Navigate to the Status tab
- Activate the SpeedFusion trial
- Then please check if the WiFi WAN connections are now available on the dashboard. If you are still experiencing issues with this, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for further support!