Table of Contents
- Products Covered
- Gaining Access Via Incontrol2
- Gaining Access Via the Factory Reset Button
- Requesting Assistance
- All Pepwave Max and Balance Products
The purpose of this article is to discuss soft and hard reset options for Pepwave devices if the administrator password and/or Incontrol2 access is not available and the user has physical access to the Pepwave device.
Gaining Access Via Incontrol2
Incontrol is free on all modems for the first 12 months from purchase. After that you must purchase incontrol access only or an extended warranty which includes incontrol access. Incontrol2 is reasonable, typically around $20-40 dollars per year. Contact us for exact pricing.
Incontrol must be enabled on the modem to access it via the cloud. It is enabled by default so unless it was disabled previously it should work. Make sure your modem is online using the WAN or cellular or WIFI as WAN options and then add your serial number to your incontrol2 account.
Once you have added the device to your incontrol account, assuming incontrol is enabled (default) on the device and assuming the device is online it will appear in your incontrol panel as shown below. The below example shows multiple devices, select your device from the list to enter the device specific incontrol panel.
Once in the device specific page of the incontrol dashboard, you will be able to access the device's remote administration console via the settings->Remove Web Admin page. See screenshot below.
This will open up the units administration console. The device will bypass the local security credentials and use the incontrol2 secure cloud based credentials you used to log into the website providing you with secure access to the router. Once you have gained access navigate to the Pepwave's System -> Admin Security page and reset your local password. Make sure to tupe the password twice and click Save and Apply Changes. See image below.
Congradulations, you have just reset your local admin password via the incontrol2 cloud management interface. You may now gain access to your router locally using the local IP administration IP (usually https://192.168.50.1).
Gaining Access Via the Factory Reset Button
If you have lost your administrator password and need to reset your modem to regain access it is possible as long as you have physical access to the unit by using the reset button. The rest button is located on most units and is labeled with a reset icon that looks like an arrow in the shape of a circle. See image below.
Did you know you can reset your password without factory resetting the device on most Pepwave devices? If at all possible attempt to gain access without using the reset button to avoid accidental deletion of settings. If you have exhausted all other options use the instructions below.
To reset the password on most Max and Balance Series devices (other models may work as well) while retaining your settings follow the following steps.
- Power on your device and wait for the status light to remain solid green.
- Password Reset Only: While the device is powered on, insert a paperclip into the reset hole shown above and hold the rest button for 5-7 seconds. DO NOT hold the button for more than 10 seconds or you will factory reset the settings on your device as well as the password. Allow the device to reboot and attempt login after you see a solid green status light once again.
- Password & Settings Reset: While the device is powered on, insert a paperclip into the reset hole shown above and hold the rest button for 15 seconds. The status light will turn red and eventually go out. Once the light goes out wait 2 minutes for the unit to boot and show a sold green status light. The unit has now been password reset and reset to all factory default settings.